Whether it comes to packing your stuff to send them to the other side of the country or keeping all your old stuff in the attic, packing is something you can’t avoid. And what better way to secure your packed materials than strapping them tight? It is a convenient way to keep everything secure. So, it is quite natural that you might be looking for a strapping kit at some point. Don’t worry, we have got you covered.
But why Steel strapping?
Well, first of all. Steel strapping has been around for quite some time now. That means it has everyone’s trust. The material has high tensile strength and can hold even bulky loads with a mighty grip. Furthermore, it is available in a variety of widths and grades.
The Best Steel Strapping sets available in the market
1. Compact 3 /4 “ Steel Strapping Kit, 1,800 Tensile Strength
The first choice when it comes for the best steel strapping sets. This kit has got many many people crazed over it. It is a high utility kit that involves the following items.
- 2 Coils of size 3 /4” x.020” x 200ft
- 250 3 /4” Seals
- 1 Heavy Duty Feed-Wheel Tensioner
- 1 Sealer tool
- 1 Steel Strap cutter
You can say without any doubt that the kit is a complete one. The kit works very well on flat surfaces and is very serviceable. Though it does have trouble with packing less than 18” in diameter. Furthermore, the clamps are only satisfactory at best. But, the crimpers work great.
The set is very easy to use. Hence, it is great for people who are new to the art. Another feature to mention is that the kit comes with plenty of supplies for you to work with.
2. IDL Packaging 3 /4” x 300ft. Steel Strapping Kit
It is a kit that is well built and designed for light to medium-duty work. The kit involves consists of the following.
- 3 /4” x.020” steel strapping 300 feet
- 150 open seals
- Tensioner (S-290)
- Sealer (C-3126)
- Strapping cutter (H-100)
When it comes to being reliable, this kit really delivers. All thanks to it being suitable for regular work. The makers of the kit have kept this in their minds as the tools are built to last long. The kit can be used for up to 150 strapping cycles. Additionally, you can always order more the consumables separately. The kit can maneuver around limited space and hence works well for portables jobs.
The kit does find it difficult to work with medium-sized work when compared to lighter loads.
3. VOTOER Heavy Duty Steel Strapping Kit
Sorry for the long name. The set can be used for general strapping purposes. It includes the following
- Tensioner that has a strap width ranging from 3 /8” to 3 /4” inches.
- Sealer for steel of width of 19mm.
The two tools are composed of high quality hardened steel. Therefore, it will last around for a long time and will be very durable. Moreover, the tensioner is designed to be labor-saving and efficient. Works for both industrial and household work.
4. IDL Packaging 1 /2” x 200 ft. Steel Strapping Kit
The kit is pretty neat and comes with all the essentials that you need. It contains:
- Tensioner (S-290)
- Sealer (C-3124)
- Strapping cutter (H-100)
- 1 /2” x.020” steel strapping 200 feet
- 100 open seals
A similar item is present in the list, but you might notice a difference in grade. Yeah, when it comes to these items, it’s all about the grade. And this one is more specialized for lighter works.
Speaking of other features, it is reliable, portable and it will last for a long time. Plus, the consumable that comes with it will last for 100 cycles.
5. IDL Packaging Ultimate 5 /8” x 200 ft. Steel Strapping Kit
Unlike all the other kits in the list, this one has a special seal-less combo tool. Contents of the kit are:
- 5 /8” x .020 steel strapping 200 feet
- Seal-less combo tool (MUL-20)
- Strapping cutter (H-201)
We didn’t mention the specialty of the combo tool, did we? Well as the name suggests it eliminates the need for seals. And hence the need for a sealer as well.
The kit is aimed at heavy-duty work and it does deliver. It will decrease your workload by quite a bit and make the whole process more efficient. The tool is pretty light itself that makes it easy to move around.
6. BISupply Steel Strapping Kit Metal Banding Tool
Another long name on the list. But unlike all the other kits in the list, this one is not actually a kit. It is, in fact, a multipurpose tool that does the functions of a tensioner, sealer, and a cutter.
But despite being a tool that brings all these processes together, it is surprisingly easy to use with a comfortable grip. Moreover, the thing accepts band sizes ranging from 1 /5-inch to 3 /4-inch (4.76 mm to 19 mm just as the name suggests). Though, the sizes 1 /2-inch, 5 /8 inch and 3 /4 inch are used more than others.
Built so strong, it can probably survive a 100 story fall. But really, it can handle tensions up to 1 ton. All thanks to dropping forging with epoxy powder-coat finish. Additionally, this gives it a high resistance to corrosion and rust as well.
To be honest, there is always a chance that what you really want is not something that we have mentioned in this list. So, if that is really true we have put together a buying guide that will help you know what all things you need to look for in your ideal tool.
Why do you need a Steel strapping?
Let’s look at the why before the how. Strapping ensures better safety of your cargo to shock or stored items to wear. There are many desirable qualities of steel that make it suitable for strapping. Some of these are listed below.
Features of Steel Strapping:
- Large loads – Steel certainly can handle larger loads compared to other strapping materials.
- Hot temperature – The material does not let go in case of temperature rise.
- High breaking strength – This ensures that the strap does not collapse even under heavy load or vibrations.
- Resistance to UV – There are materials that are affected by UV light. Steel shows more resistance.
- High durability – It is suitable for long trips and storing for a long time.
- Low elongation – The strap should not stretch so that the packing becomes loose.
Factors to consider:
- Portability – You should be able to maneuver your tools through the given space without any trouble. And the work that you do will vary
- Safety – Safety always comes first. A bad tool or a wrong tool for the job could easily hurt someone. It can even stop someone dead in their tracks very easily. There are many specialized jaw designs of the sealer that you should check out.
- Durability – For whatever purpose you use it for, it is better if it lies around for a longer time. That is why it is important to consider the material that your tools are made of. Hardened steel and heat-treated metals ensure this.
- Kind of load – The kind of load that you deal with has a great impact on the type of kit you are looking for. Heavier the package the stronger the strapping should be. Similarly, the load can be both static or dynamic. While static needs simple tools, dynamic loads need tools that have special modifications to the according to its conditions.
- Versatility – If the same kit can be used for straps of different widths then that will save you from a potential hole in your pocket. It often comes down to the variation in width that the tensioner can handle. Another way in which you can look at versatility is the kind of strap that the same kit can use. Steel is not the only material that you can use for a strap. Polypropylene, polyester, nylon, and paper are all other straps that come in handy as the situation changes.
- Affordability – Never buy something that you don’t need. Especially if it’s very expensive. Affordability is really a factor that you should consider while buying any tool. The kind of cash that it will cost depends on its specs. The degree to which you need each spec above will definitely reflect on its price. So be wise when you are dealing with a limited amount of cash.
- Frequency of usage – So you need to use the kit regularly or do you only pack once in a while? This simple question decides the extent of quality that you should consider and the kind of safety features that you would need.
Steel strapping is a very efficient solution to a variety of packaging and handling. So, it is quite natural that anyone would want one at some point. But there is not much data available about these to make an informed choice. That is exactly what this article does. It gives you an overview of the best steel strapping kits available in the market. Choose wisely.