Tired of the modems that catch you off guard when it comes speeds becoming dead slow. Are you fed up with WiFi networks that are not reliable? The gamer inside you is probably struggling to thrive under such circumstances. Well, it is quite normal.
Gaming gear requires standards of their own and hence you should do a bit of research before buying such items especially a gaming modem. But luckily, you have walked your way into this article. Here we will list out the best gaming modems available in the market and then organize a buying guide for you just in case you don’t like what you see. So, let’s dive right in.
6 Best Gaming Modem from our Expert
1. Asus Modem Router Combo
All-in-One DOCSIS 3.0 32×8 Cable Modem + Dual-Band Wireless AC2600 WiFi Gigabit Router – Certified by Comcast Xfinity, Spectrum, Time Warner, Cable, Charter, and Cox
If you are into combat games or hardcore racing then you are going to love this modem. These kinds of games require you to have high attention to detail and thus not only need but demand HD. After all, you need to know who is where and be aware of sharp turns.
- It is a modem and router combo. So you don’t have to go through the trouble of buying routers separately.
- The modem comes with the latest wireless technology as well as a 4x Gigabit Ethernet cable.
- You will find a DOCSIS 3.0 under its hood that gives it speeds of more than 1.3 Gbps.
- It works with a large number of internet providers.
- Apart from gaming, it can also be a good means to enjoy 4k streaming.
We are not gonna lie to you, you will need to spend a few extra bucks if you want this at your mantle. But it really is worth it. And as it comes with its own routers it eliminates the possibilities of any sync issues.
2. NETGEAR CM700 (32X8) DOCSIS 3.0 Gigabit Cable Modem
Max download speeds of 1.4 Gbps. Certified for Xfinity by Comcast, Time Warner Cable, Charter and more (CM700)
Online games often require a strong and reliable internet connection. And with a 32×8 channel bonding, this modem will give have your back for sure. You can pretty well say that channel bonding very crucial when it comes to online gaming.
- The modem is very compatible with all kinds of gaming consoles. So, you can even borrow your friend’s console.
- You can get good performance out of it even at plants with speeds under 500Mbps.
- It rarely causes compatibility issues as it works well with most WiFi routers available in the market.
- As mentioned above it has 32 channel bonding that is 32downstreams and 8 upstreams for those of you who don’t know yet.
- The maximum available speed is well above 1.4 Gbps.
With very fine stats coming at a decent price, it becomes pretty obvious that modem is definitely worth a look. And if you are one to the price tag among the deciding factors, then this one is definitely perfect for you.
3. MOTOROLA DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem
6Gps Max Speed. Approved for Comcast Xfinity, Gigabit, Cox Gigablastt, and More (Model MB8600)
Are you prepping up for Cyberpunk? Or perhaps gearing up for the next edition of gran tour. If that is, in fact, the case then you are going to need the fastest and meanest monster by your side.
- It has a DOCSIS 3.1. There aren’t many modems yet that comes with 3.1. For that those of you who have no clue what it means, it is just some machinery that grants you a wider channel and higher speed.
- It works well with a lot of WiFi Routers including Google Wifi and Orbi.
- The biggest pro is the fact that it provides superior stability when it comes to internet connections. Hence, it is perfect for gaming sections that could even go on for days.
- It is equipped with an Active Que Management system. Therefore, latency in the system is reduced significantly.
- Supported well by several internet providers.
New toys will eventually beat the old ones. This modem is the onset of new technology and involves several key features that can turn the tables in any match. All things considered, it is a strong contender on the list.
4. ARRIS SURFboard (32×8) Docsis 3.0 Cable Modem
Certified for Xfinity, Spectrum, Cox and More (Sb6190 White)
If you are looking or a modem that packs a punch but still has that vintage look then this one will fit perfectly. The modem adapts well to provide you with the best experience, no matter what game you choose. Whether it be going solo or playing with your squad spread across the nation, the modem will serve you well.
- If you already have already purchased routers and are just waiting for a blindingly quick internet connection then this is the way to go.
- It has an incredibly fast 1-gigabit port. This will help you out a lot when it comes to gaming as well as streaming.
- You can rely on it even if you don’t have a very fast internet connection available as it works well under 400 Mbps as well.
- It has an Ethernet port that allows the speed of up to 1.4 Gbps and is supported by multiple internet providers.
- It is unbelievably easy to install and you can do so in well under 10 minutes.
With plenty of features available as well as top-notch hardware that gives it tremendous durability, it is no surprise that this product is one of amazon’s choice. And hence you should give it a good look as well.
for Xfinity by Comcast and Spectrum by Charter (CG7500) with 24×8 AC1900(Renewed)
Hardcore gamers know that the price of your setup doesn’t matter much. It is what it can do that really makes the difference. So if you are looking for a modem that can provide high performance if the internet connection is not that kind at times then you might wanna check this one out.
- It will provide sterling steady connection even for connections with speed up to 300 Mbps.
- The modem is not alone, as it comes along with a router as well. And this detail will save you a few bucks while giving zero scopes for modem-router compatibility issues.
- Simplicity in setup is often hard to come by. That is why when you come across a modem router combo that you can use right out of the box, you don’t let it go.
- It is quite easy to hook up to the network providers as well, on a software level that is.
- Works flawlessly with all devives including Androids, iOS, windows and so on.
With one look you can pretty much make out that the bestows a splendid value for money. Hardware and Software both are outstanding and hence it makes for an admirable modem.
6. NETGEAR Orbi All-in-one Cabel Modem & WiFi Router
Whole Home Mesh-Ready WiFi Router – for Internet connectivity and speeds up to 2.2 Gbps Over 2,000 sq. feet, Ac2200 (CBR40)
Don’t let it fool you. It might look all innocent but it really has everything it needs to help you play with the pros. With DOCSIS 3.0 and support from all major internet providers Orbit sure is one modem everyone desires.
- It is equipped well to provide connectivity across the house without causing any dead zones or instability.
- The Orbi app makes tinkering with settings pretty easy in a modem whose setup is already a piece of cake.
- Being a modem router combo, it eliminates the hassle of having to buy a separate router set.
- You can easily achieve speeds of up to 2.2 Gbps.
- It can maintain a number of devices on your WiFi network.
The fact that it can be used for things other than gaming increases its value by a lot. Furthermore, the modem has an aesthetics going for it as well. Everything considered an excellent modem.
A brief guide to buying a gaming modem
If you are really a gamer then you will spend a good amount of time looking for that perfect modem and you will probably not settle for anything else. Hence, there is a chance that none of the items in the list above is really what you were really looking for in the first place. That is okay. We are here to help you get what you really want. And for that reason, we have come up with this guide that will let you know what to look for.
What is a gaming modem?
Simply put, it is a modem that is developed with gaming in mind. Online games require an internet connection to communicate with the faraway server. And hence we need something that is fast and at the same time provides stability. This is precisely where gaming modems specialize.
Benefits that you should get
- Speed – Half the reason for buying a gaming modem is its speed and stability. High standard modems ensure that you get the maximum output from your internet provides. And you really know what you need that high FPS and transfer speed.
- Reliable connection – Speed is useless if you don’t get it constantly. Hence it is important that your modem provides a steady flow of data and keeps you at bay from the chance of disconnections.
- Working with Routers – Wireless connections with the routers should be efficient, to say the least. Your modem and router must be in perfect sync in order for you to enjoy the perfect gaming experience.
- Quality – Gaming gear, generally, requires a high degree of quality than usual. And this is true with gaming modems as well.
Features to consider to choose a gaming modem
At very first, check the ISP Support/compatibility – The very first thing that you should ensure even before looking at the specs of a modem is if it is compatible with your internet provider. Because if it is not then you may perhaps end up buying a modem that will be completely useless to you. But most modems these days are compatible with most ISPs. Along with that these things you need to keep in mind –
Without a hint of doubt in your mind, you can say that speed matters a lot. And it is no hidden fact that faster modems rack up greater prices. The two things you should consider is its wireless speed over WiFi and wired connection speed over an Ethernet port. Furthermore, buy a gaming modem that can work well with your ISP’s top speed.
DOCSIS 3 vs DOCSIS 3.1
The term accounts for the number of simultaneous channels and the degree of speed that the cable modem can provide. While DOCSIS 3.1 is superior to 3 by a long shot, it is yet another fact that most companies are only working on developing their 3.1 versions. Hence, only a few gaming modems in the market will have that capability. But even though 3.1 is more expensive it does outclass 3 in more ways than you can count.
Though there are a lot of gimmicks out there that are only meant to rack up the prices of the said item, there are some features that are really useful. Ethernet ports and USB ports can often aid the gamer. And they enhance the modem’s connectivity.
The article goes over some of the best gaming modem available in the market. Subsequently, it is followed by a buying guide about the same. Hence we have given you all the means that you need in order to buy the modem that you were planning on buying. So go on right ahead and treat the gamer inside you.