Are you looking for a convenient welding tool, which is set up in a simple manner and easy to use? If yes, then I have the solution for you. The solution is a MIG welder. If you are a beginner welder or have been using other types of welders, then you will notice that what you need is MIG welder. When using any MIG welder, you will take a few hours to master everything and be on your way to being a pro. This is because it is easy to set up and operate. And those two are attributes you need for your day-to-day welding project.
Once you have learned and mastered the MIG, this skill will endure for a long time in the future. This applies to you as both a hobbyist and a professional. You may require welding in many diverse fields and these welders are fit for any job. As a welder in different fields such as metal fabrication, farming, professionalism, and enthusiasm; you can approach the MIG welding differently. This may depend on individualism as well as the various levels of motivation and interest. Regardless of all these, the benefits will cut across the board and end up with a smile on your lips.
Once you begin using MIG welders, definitely you will bear me witness that it is easier to learn and execute. It also saves time and cost-effective on a particular job to be conducted. A great advantage to you will be that you can use these welders at both novice and professional levels. However, it is not a simple task to choose the right tool to use for your project. There are various factors you ought to consider when choosing which welding machine to purchase. Some of them may include its output power, speed of the wire feed, wire size, material thickness, and its portability. You will understand that there are MIG welders for 110V, 220V and others carry dual voltage. All this is dependent on the need you have as a welder.
Being a determined welder, I care about (we) you making a choice that you have nothing to regret about in the future. Similarly, I would not want you to spend a lot of money and time in the welding process. In this article, I will provide a quick guide updated for 2019 which will help you choose the right MIG welder for your job. A review of characteristics, pros and cons of some of the best MIG welders in the industry will be discussed below. To start with, a table of the comparison based on different items for all (can) the discussed welding machines is provided.
Best 110v MIG Welders Quick Comparison[amalinkspro_table id=”13761″ aff-id=”deblx-20″ new-window=”on” nofollow=”on” addtocart=”on” /]
Which 110v MIG is good for your needs and pocket?
Have you ever desired to fast-forward details of an ESPN telecast with the intention of knowing what the final score of the game will be? I can bet you through this review, you will know the product is the best to choose. In my opinion, you (talk) will hardly find any better MIG welder for its price tag other than the Hobart 500559 Handler’s Wire Welder. This machine is not only durable, compact and of excellent value but also has an outstanding performance.
If you are a today hobbyist doing it for yourself, then the Hobart welder is guaranteed to fulfill and exceed your needs. The excellent performance of this machine is assured by its drive system characterized by a work clamp and cast (here) aluminum. The 115V welder machine can perform any welding demand due to its handy features, industrial strength, and multi-functionality. From the box, the machine is ready for you to use with very minimal set up required.
Best 220v MIG Welders Quick Comparison[amalinkspro_table id=”13763″ aff-id=”deblx-20″ new-window=”on” nofollow=”on” addtocart=”on” /]
Check out this post too – Best welding helmet
TOP 4 Best 110V MIG WELDERS
Here, I am about to give important information review on some of the best 110v MIG welders. The review will help you choose the right welding unit to meet your needs. Of most importance, is to note that all MIG welders actually perform a similar function. However, each product is separated from the other by its application as well as the additional manufacturer components and features. These are the most known models and brands in the welding industry due to their performance and quality.
1. The Hobart Handler’s Wire Mig Welder
This machine is also known as the Hobart handler 140. It has an incredible power and a high task yield. The machine is compact and easily portable. The machine gives you the ability to select the tuning of your arc due to its possession of a 5-position tapped voltage control.
Key Features of Hobart Handler’s Wire Mig Welder
- Can operate on a household power of 115V
- It does not require additional set up
- Delivers about 140 amps of output power
- It is ideal for aluminum, stainless alloys and steel in auto body, household repairs and farm projects.
- Has a flux core capacity hence capable to work on thick gauge steel
- Perfectly works for basic metal welding, DIY and auto body repairs as well as construction jobs.
- It is durable
It is the most popular among Hobart’s MIG welder.
- In the industry, it is the best value model.
It is extremely versatile.
It is able to industrial performance and possesses a work clamp.
- Easy to setup.
- Simple to use.
- Extremely versatile.
- Has a light design and condensed for use and storage.
- A Hobart warranty of 5/3/1 is provided.
- Has a small voltage
2. Lincoln’s Electric-Handy MIG Welder
This welding machine can be connected into a standard outlet of 20 amps. It can work with or without gas. It is also able to weld both MIG and flux-cored. The machine has lightweight, compact and portable structure. All you need for MIG welding is made available in the box. It is packed together with
Key Features of Lincoln’s Electric-Handy MIG Welder
- clamp and work cable
- cable assembly
- gas regulator
- gas nozzle
- solid wire spool
- contact tips
- hand shield with filtering lens and plates
- Easy setup of the machine
- Friendly to the user
- Compressed and portable
- It is not designed for industrial usage
- Low carbon is only welded to a maximum of 1/8’’
3. Forney 299 125fc Flux Core Welder
Am going to give you a reason as to why you will not need to use argon or argon-CO2 mix filled cylinders for welding. This is because the Forney (299 125FC) Flux-cored machine not only saves your money but also is able to weld a quarter of an inch. This welder can be used anywhere at any given time. It is easy to take off and on from its torch wrapping. It works perfectly for a starter welder. When you purchase the machine, a few additional requirements will be given to you.
Key Features of Forney 299 125fc Flux Core Welder
- Requires an input of 120v and delivers 125 amps
- It is packed with handles
- Allows for wire spools of between 2 and 10lb
- Packed in torch wrap
- Works without the use of a gas set up
- Fit for garage and home welding
- Wire tons in a quick and easy manner.
- Its feed speed is adjustable
- Contains two power settings only.
4. LONGEVITY MIG Welder
I can assure you that this machine is easy to learn and operate. Once you learn, the skill lasts forever meaning that you can utilize it over and over again. It has similar consumables as the ones found in local stores and it comes with a wire. You can use this welder at home or at the shop.
Key Features of LONGEVITY MIG Welder
- Contains a possessive transformer technology
- Packed with a thermal column for overload protection
- It contains an electrical current of 140 amps
- Has the capacity to handle up to a maximum of 11lbs
- Can connect to any wall outlet of 110V
- Contains a power plug which is installed on it
- Can weld steel up to 3/8
- Operates on either flux-core or gas welding
- The machine is portable
- Can be used anywhere
- One can plug the device anywhere
- It is versatile
- Provides protection for heat overload
- Its usage is easy.
- Welding on metals of 20-gauge may produce inconsistent weld patterns.
Top Picks for the best 220V MIG Welder
You will not find better welder machines, which are more powerful than these. Although they are expensive, they carry sufficient power and quality to meet your expectations and needs. Their usefulness will be proven when you frequently weld steel or aluminum up to 1/8 inch. If you are doing it for a profession or a hobby, these machines will give you more chances to grow in your specific field. Some of them carry dual voltage i.e. 110V/220V. Let us get to know them up and close.
1. Hobart Handler-210 MVP MIG Welder
For this device, the power input to use can be 115V or 230V. You will not require any additional tools to connect it to power receptacles. It will be perfect to use if you are a beginner or a professional. There is ease of connection and usage anywhere facilitated by its plug which is multi voltage.
Key Features of Hobart Handler-210 MVP MIG Welder
- Has a wire feeder built in it
- Contains a strong output in welding mild steel
- Possesses 7 settings for output voltage as well a speed control
- Has an elective plugin SpoolRunner used to weld aluminum
- Easy to connect
- Effective in terms of cost
- Enables smooth welding
- Best for beginners and professionals
- Can be used on either stainless or mild steel
- The machine contains short cables
2. Lincoln Electric-Power MIG 210 Welder
This welder is ideal for most of your jobs in your small shop or at home. It is versatile and contains powerful construction of sheet and metal.You can connect it to any conventional power provision. In addition, it forms an excellent arc with technology of diamond core. If you are a first-timer into welding, then the Lincoln is the most ideal for you. Its display is easy for operation and the setup is similarly simple. In some cases, you can use this welder as a tig or stick welding machine. If you would like to learn how to tig weld, this would be your right rig.
Key Features of Lincoln Electric-Power MIG 210 Welder
- Contains a dual voltage of 120V or 230V inputs
- Has a numeric drive which is easy to turn to detect unit tension
- Plug and play structure
- Has digital controls for cool setups
- It is versatile
- It is lightweight
- Its digital controls make a breeze for set up
- Simple and easy to access the advanced settings and options
- Can be used by both tig and stick welders.
- Structured for plug and play
- It is unable to handle cases of mass production
3. Lincoln MIG Welder, Handheld, 208/230VAC
This Lincoln MIG welder is packed with a regulator, wire spool, gun among other accouterments. Its standard gun can be replaced with a spool gun of Magnum 100SG. There is an even flow wire in the entire system ensured by the cast aluminum. The machine has to heat about 180 amps in any job. It uses a collection of many related wires to ensure light is fabricated, maintained and repaired. The machine is also versatile and powerful to deliver quality.
Key features of Lincoln MIG Welder, Handheld, 208/230VAC
- It comes with a regulator, wire spool and a gun
- Has a replaceable standard gun.
- It very affordable
- It is versatile
- Can be carried around at only lbs
- Possesses a Lincoln Electric Magnum 100SG spool-gun kit.
- Not suitableto perform heavy-duty works
- Has cullet and body of 3/32’’
- Separate glass and body are required for MIG containing electrodes of 0.040’’, 1/16’’ or 0.20’’.
4. LOTOS MIG175 175AMG Mig Welder with FREE Spool Gun
This machine suits you when welding for aluminum, low carbon steel, inox and any other metallic material. It is easy to set up for approximately 10 minutes. It carries a durable and reliable transformer technology.You can connect it to a wall outlet of between 200 and 220V. It is lightweight
hence portable. Its weld penetrates well guided by a motor system fed with wires, which function well to meet your needs.
Key features of LOTOS MIG175 175AMG Mig Welder
- Has a duty cycle of 30%
- It is lightweight thus portable
- Has a durable and reliable transformer
- Has a splendid weld penetration
- Has a free spool gun
- It is packaged with a free spool gun
- It controls temperature
- The manufacturer gives a one year warranty
- Shipping is only done within the U.S.
- Easy to set up
- It is durable and reliable.
- It is not recommended to perform heavy duty works
5. Hobart Ironman 220v Mig Welder
This machine is able to deliver a weld power of 30-250Amps. You can either use it in a garden or farm or for household repairs. It operates with an input power of 230V. To reduce the spending on replacement parts, this welder is brought with drive rolls which can be reversed. This helps to cut down the cost involved in replacements. This Ironman 230 welder has a controlled wire speed. Furthermore, it is controlled and kept safe from overheating due the possession of a thermal overload protection unit.
Key features of Hobart Ironman 220v Mig Welder
- Has reversible drive rolls
- Has a thermal column for overload protection
- Accompanied with a controlled wire speed
- It is easier to control the smooth arc
- It is easy to access a wire drive set up
- Has a vast wire speed measurement
- Can be used in the farm or at home
- Prevents overheating effect
- It is economical in cost
- Has a short ground and power cable
- For power supply to homes, it requires an outlet of 230V or 240V
- Weighs only 270 lbs
6. Forney 318 190-Amp MIG Welder, 230-volt
You can use this Forney 318 welder for welding on low carbon steel, inox, cast iron as well as aluminum. On package, the manufacturer provides a ground clamp, regulator, power cord of 15 feet, welding torch of 10 feet and a gas hose to your benefit. It is able to input upto 190/230V. It can weld materials of heavy duty and it can last for a longer time. It can weld a metal to 3/8 inches. Being versatile, the welder can process both flux-core and MIG. You will have unlimited freedom when welding due to coordinated gas line.
Key features of Forney 318 190-Amp MIG Welder
- Has an input range of 190/230V
- Has a flowmeter and gas hose
- Accompanied with a regulator, ground clamp, welding torch, power core and a gas hose.
- Has a wire feeder
- Has a MIG spool gun of 20-ft
- Has a well composed gas line
- Some have compatible Tweco consumables
- It is simple to set up
- Suitable for rugged tasks
- Its parts can be replaced
- Manufacturers give a warranty of 5/3/1 year
- Its functions are new, upgraded and improved.
- There is freedom for the user during welding
- It is durable
- It is heavy thus importable.
When you are going out to buy a welder, it is important that you have every necessary requirement well known to you. Having such knowledge will enable you to make a wise investment decision. Of importance, is to think more on what your welding will be on. This may be in terms of the metal to use or even where to operate your job from. Depending on the expectations and needs that you have, you will definitely want to purchase the best MIG welder. Due to the distinctive features and advantages of these welders, they qualify to suit your need as a welder.
A powerful welder means spending more money to buy it since they are expensive. As it is usually said, cheap is expensive in the long run. This means that it will be worth buying an expensive powerful welder. which will last longer than a cheap fake one. Cheap welders are there but are under-powered thus your needs may not be fully meet. Consequently,
you might end up spending more in repairs for the welder thus losing more time and financial resources. A plan is always good in every life situation. Someone once said; failing to plan is planning to fail. Having a plan on how much you would want to spend is very important. The plan will prevent you from being carried away by the different features of welder you come across.
MIG Welding, what is it all about?
MIG welding occurs when the MIG wire be it either a steel wire cylinder or an electrode is passed from the welding machine via a liner and (leahantny97) given out by a contact tip found inside the gun of the machine. In this process, the wire heats and melts due to the power applied by the welder. This wire is then being used like an adhesive. There is then completion of the inert gas into the metallic liquid hence protecting the liquid from infusing with other substances in the atmosphere.Advantages of using any MIG welder in your work include:
- Great reduction of smoke produced during welding
- Significantly higher speeds as compared to stick welding
- Suitable for welding stainless steel, carbon and aluminum materials
- Able to be used on light-gauged materials as well as thick plates.
Having known what MIG welding is, then we can look at what is used for the smooth welding processes.
These are also known as inert gases. They are used in cases of gas-metal arc or gas tungsten arc welding. The main reasons why welders use these gases is to make sure that vapor or oxygen permeates the area of working. These inert gases at times may restrain presence of oxygen gas thus if not correctly used, the result might be a poor (at) welding process. You should
therefore make a good choice of the best type and quantity of gas to use in your work. You should note that shielding gas is expensive. Therefore, before you go to purchase it, make a good plan to get the most effective in operation, cost- effective as well as weed-friendly gas type. The common gases delivering high quality welding result are Carbon (IV) oxide, Helium, Oxygen and Argon.
In order to use MIG welders for welding flux-cored Arc, you will be required to change the polarity switch which is near the drive. This will help alternate it from a MIG wire to a flux-core one. When you have a gasless welder, the (gee) weld pool is kept separate from oxygen by the flux-cored wire. You can use a tube-like flux core wire to eliminate oxygen through getting rid of weld pools that rely on atmospheric gas. Merits of using gasless welding include:
- Ability to use the welder in any environment or position
- No requirement for protective gas from outside and it is best for first timers.
- It is cost-effective and very efficient in welding.
- It has protection over any atmospheric gases which may be built up in the MIG wire.
- The machinery requires little skills for you to operate as a beginner.
- You will notice that this welding produces less or no porous welds.
Output power for a MIG welder is among the first considerations you will have when buying the machine. If you have a home project and you (mail) use thin metals, 100 amps will work best for you. For thicker metals, it is important to have a rig of up to 140 amps because this will be sufficient for you. Although it may be a bit more expensive but it is worth it. Another thing you would want to consider is the minimum power of output. For guidance, a machine with a minimum power of 30 amps is fit for a metal of about 18-gauge. For welding fragile metals of either 22-gauge or 0.8 mm, use a welder having a minimum of 20-25 amps.
Wire Feed Speed
This is the speed at which a MIG wire is getting fed from the welding machine to the gun. It will be as important as the power. If the speed is slow, the wire disappears immediately when it is in contact with the given metal. This creates an uneven and ugly weld. On the contrary, in case of a too fast speed, the cord reaches out from the gun (dot) and leaves you with a load of spatter.Where the arc is continuous, then the wire is at the best feed speed.Leading welders for MIG come with an instinctive speed setting, which adjusts the relative power rate. Normally, you will find a manual override provided if you wish to make small twists.
Wire size and the materials’ thickness
If you use thin wires you will be able to prevent burning of light materials. On other hand, a thick wire allows for strong fusion on more (com) ample metals. The most common wires are ER70S-6 and ER70S-3. ER70S-3 is ideal for all kinds of welding purposes while ER70S-6 IS used on rusty and dirty surfaces where more deoxidizers are required. Normally, you will not determine the machine type by the wire size used for welding. The device plays a role in helping to determine the type and size of wire you need for welding.
It is not convenient for you to carry around a huge welder machine. Therefore, you need to consider its size and the space available to avoid this burden. Welding machines range from 40lbs to hundreds pounds. The size is dependent on its power and features. Portability of a welder depends on the welding need you want to accomplish. Carts are available to help you move the machine.
In this review and guide, I have given you the basics of the best MIG welder machines for welding detailed with their features. It is my hope that by reading it, the questions you had on welders have been answered. You can now go ahead and decide on the best because now you have all the you need to make a great decision.