In recent times Wi-Fi has revolutionized our lives like nothing else. The ability to be mobile and still be operating at mind boggling speeds on the internet is truly a blessing. But the wireless technology suffers from some inherent drawbacks that make this network architecture less than desirable.
Any true PC master race fanatic worth their salt will always argue that a wired connection is always more quick and stable than a wireless one. That is the reason why people are rapidly regressing back to Ethernet cables when it comes to setting up Local Area Networks. A LAN setup requires a lot of hardware including routers and switches but there is no LAN that can truly be setup without using an Ethernet cable. So we will help you today, in this guide, to choose a suitable Ethernet cable for your needs in home or office LAN.
Here is our favourite 8 Best Ethernet Cables
- High Performance Internet cable is Cat6 rated; The Ethernet cord with 24 AWG copper wire provides universal connectivity for LAN network components such as PCs, computer servers, printers, routers, switch boxes, network...
- Cat6 performance at a Cat5e price but with higher bandwidth; Future-proof your network for 10-Gigabit Ethernet (backwards compatible with any existing Cat 5 cable network); Meets or exceeds Category 6 performance in...
- CAT6 / CAT5e: Supports both Cat6 and Cat5e applications. The RJ45 connector used for this cable fits perfectly in both Cat6 and Cat5e ports.
- CAPABILITY: Mediabridge Cat 6 cables can support up to 10 Gigabits per second (10 times the bandwidth of Cat5e cables). Meets or exceeds Category 6 performance in compliance with the TIA/EIA 568B.2 standard. Backwards...
- High Quality: Made of 4 shielded twisted pairs (STP) of copper wire with gold plated contact pins in each RJ45 Connector. This provides great resistance to crosstalk, noise, and interference.
- High Speed: Supports 600MHz high-speed data transfer for server applications, cloud storage, video chatting, high definition video streaming, and gaming. Cat7 cables are the best generation.
- Cat-6 Ethernet patch cable for wired home and office networks
- Connects computers to network components in a wired LAN
- High Speed Flexible: MATEIN CAT7 network cable Transmit data at speeds up to 10, 000 Mbps (or to 10 Gigabit per second); High bandwidth of up to 600 MHz, s high-speed data transfer for online gaming and online high...
- Compatibility: Cat 7 Network Cable is compatible with Cat6/Cat5/Cat5e Ethernet cable. Provide universal connectivity for Xbox One, Xbox 360, Switches, Routers Modems, PS3, PS4, Computer, Laptop, Printers, Network...
- Category 6 Network (Ethernet) Cable
- Color: Blue ** Color may vary **
- CAT7 SSTP SHIEDLDED ETHERNET CABLE standard provides performance of up to 600 MHz and could be used for 10BASE-T 100BASE-TX (Fast Ethernet) 1000BASE-T/1000BASE-TX (Gigabit Ethernet) and 10GBASE-T(10-Gigabit Ethernet) at...
- cat7 Ethernet cable could be Compatible with Cat5 Cat5e cat6 and cat6A Ethernet cables
- QUALITY CONTROL - Each Cat6 internet cable 25 ft goes through rigorous testing to ensure a secure wired internet connection with exceptional speed and reliability.
- PERFORMANCE - High performance Cat6 ethernet patch cables are designed with extremely well-matched components for outstanding uniform impedance and very low return loss, providing lower crosstalk, and a higher...
1. CABLE MATTERS 160021 CAT6 SNAGLESS ETHERNET PATCH CABLE
The magic of Diversity mixed in with optimal quality
When setting up a network the requirement from a LAN cable usually extends beyond connecting the node to the network. An Ethernet cable is also used to place all the network devices on the main line to be utilised by the server/node. Cable Matters have a very diversified offering in the form of their 160021 cable with wide variety in sizes (0.3m, 1m, 1.5m, 2m, 3m, 3.5m, 4m), and a diversified offering of colours.
This along with the PVC coating on the cable itself makes this product both pretty and durable. The cable also has a frequency of 550MHz so it can support a bandwidth up to 10GBps making this one of the most feasible options for larger or future proof LAN systems. This cable also complies with cat6 standards and comes with gold plated contacts for even faster transmission of data. This cable matters product allows the user to colour code network devices using their cables making the system even more efficient in its upkeep.
- Exceptional utility of money
- Wide Variety in sizes and colours
- Quality could be a little better
2. MEDIABRIDGE FBA_31-299-100B
The Goliath – High Bandwidth and High Durability
Mediabridge FBA_31-299-100GB is considered a specialised offering for streamers but it has the features to be used by everyone. The cable has a frequency of 550MHz which enables it to support a bandwidth of 10GBps. This alone makes the cable a worthwhile purchase for even the most rigorous streamers.
However the cable still has more to offer, it delivers Cat6/Cat5e/Cat5 speeds and comes in a variety of lengths (1.5m, 3m, 4.5m, 7.5m, 15m, 30m). it involves a 24AWG stranded conductors for optimal performance and a PVC shell (5.8mm in diameter) to provide durability. The MEDIABRIDGE is both functional and highly durable; it is truly a goliath in the market and our personal choice for streamers
- Lightning Fast
- Copper Core
3. CABLEGEEKER CAT 7 SHIELDED ETHERNET CABLE
Gamers and their cables
Gamers have a very convoluted reputation in general. They are often considered eccentric geeks who are obsessed with their hardware. Maybe that is the reason why the market came out with this particular product. The CABLEGEEKER is a Cat 7 cable and it is shielded to be one of the more durable products on the market. The cable is specifically made for people with a relatively small network that houses network hungry devices like a PS4 and a PC along with network peripherals.
The cables have 32AWG conductors with gold plated contacts to deliver exceptional efficiency even with network hogging machines. The 600MHz frequency allows for speeds upto 10GBps and the all-black style of the cable may put it in the priority list of some gamers. All in all the CABLEGEEKER is a great option or someone looking to build a small network with powerful devices. The length of the cable is only 1.5m, however.
- Value for money on a budget
- Effective performance
- Cable is a bit shorter than declared
4. AMAZONBASICS RJ45 CAT-6 ETHERNET PATCH INTERNET CABLE
Flexibility over performance for those on a budget
Sometimes people are just looking for a reliable cable for a small network. In such a scenario there is no point in investing huge sums of money on a redundant piece of hardware. But that does not mean that the user will be satisfied with a less than optimal product. The AMAZONBASICS RJ45 CAT-6 is the answer to this. The cable supports a speed of 1GBps (which is more than enough for most networks) with a frequency of 259MHz and comes in various lengths (1m, 1.5m, 3m, 4m, 7m and 15m). The cable offers varied bundles like a pack of 1, 5, 10, or even 25 cables to satisfy the different needs of the users. If the limited bandwidth of AMAZONBASICS is not a hurdle to you then this particular cable is great value for money for you to get your LAN off the ground.
- Rock Stable
- Excellent materials
- Varied Sizes
- Limited performance
- Average Quality
5. MATEIN CAT7 ETHERNET CABLE
The all-rounder for the entertainment industry
Streamers are one of the target consumer groups when it comes to Ethernet cables. So it does not come as a surprise that MATEIN has come out with this offering that so adequately meets all of the expectations of the entertainment industry. MATEIN CAT7 is a flat cable that boasts a frequency of 600MHz making it one of the faster cables on this list. This frequency allows for 10GBps speeds.
Moreover, the cable supports Cat6/Cat5/Cat5e standards retrospectively making it one of the more feasible options out there. The company also provides 20 handy clips in the box for easy installation. The cable itself comes in black, blue, white or red colour and is equipped with a lifetime warranty. This is an ideal cable to build a gaming safe haven and truly a monster in this segment.
- Exceptional Performance
- Can be used outdoors
- Lifetime warranty
- Not the best durability
6. IMPORTER520 CAT6 RJ45 NETWORK ETHERNET LAN CABLE
The longer the connection the simpler the solution
Sometimes the budget is more important than performance but this does not mean that the user needs to compromise on quality completely. Getting a cheap cable in the market can be tricky if you don’t know what you are looking for. However, the IMPORTER520 is a great option looking for someone to find a cheaper option than the other offerings on this list. The IMPORTER520 provides the user with CAT6 speeds and a stable connection but the built quality of the cable itself is less than optimal.
This makes for a very weird situation where the cable is simple and functional but may not be preferred for demanding users. The cable is also very long at 15m but only comes in one (blue) color. It may be one of the lower class cables on this list but IMPORTER520 is still a very reliable option when it comes to Ethernet cables.
- Decent Speeds
- Not the best shielding
- Quality is sub optimal
- Questionable durability
7. JADAOL CAT 7 ETHERNET CABLE
The feel of a truly Premium Product
The JADAOL CAT7 Ethernet cable is probably one of the finest offerings on the market. Even though it only comes in white colour it still has some great performance features that easily overshadow it’s cosmetic shortcomings. The cable meets Cat7 standards and is backward compatible with Cat5, Cat5e, Cat6 and Cat6A standards. It provides 600MHz of bandwidth delivering speeds of 10GBps satisfying even the most demanding users.
The cable is flat, has a copper core, gold plated contacts and premium shielding. The materials used in the cable are a testament to the product’s excellent build quality. The length offered is 7.5m making it one of the best options on the market and on this list. It is also very durable and has overall great performance
- Exceptional Performance
- Value for money
- May lose functionality over time ( ports loosen after continuous replugging)
8. ULTRA CLARITY CABLES CAT6 ETHERNET CABLE
The BEAST of Cat6 category
There are moments when you encounter a product so profound that you can no longer choose anything else. The ULTRA CLARITY CAT6 cable lands in that category. A truly flagship product with exceptional build quality and Cat6 speeds make this the best choice on the market w.r.t. best performance. The cable has 24AWG stranded bare copper conductors, 5.8mm PVC shielding and gold plated contacts.
This exceptional build quality is further accentuated by the fact that each ultra-clarity cable goes through rigorous testing before being put to market; the cable offers 500MHz of bandwidth with speeds extending upto 10GBps. This gives the users an excellent balance between both performance and durability. The cable is offered in varied lengths (1m, 2m, 3m, 3.5m, 4.5m, 6m, 7.5m) and comes in two colours, namely blue and black. It is arguably one of the best offerings in the Cat6 category and surely deserves a mention
- Stable and efficient
- Questionable durability
WHAT TO LOOK FOR IN AN ETHERNET CABLE
LAN cables are simple hardware but quite indispensable. They are an imperative part of networking and often act as the main medium of data transfer between nodes in a local area network. LAN wires have some characteristics that must be borne in mind before choosing one to employ in your specific network. And one must know all of these to choose the best possible Ethernet cable within a reasonable budget.
Every Ethernet cable on the market has a specified frequency and this frequency determines what kind of speed the Ethernet cable will support on the network. The frequencies of LAN cables available in the market ranges from 100MHz to a 1000MHz. LAN cables with a frequency of 100MHz or 250MHz usually support speeds upto 1GBps whereas Ethernet cables with frequencies of 500MHz, 600MHz and 1000MHz support speeds upto 10GBps. When choosing an Ethernet cable to employ in your personal network one must be mindful of what kind of requirements does one have from the network? For e.g. If you are building a small home network then it will be far more feasible to buy a low frequency wire because higher frequency wires cost more. But if you are building a complex office LAN then there is no question that you need to go for a more specialised offering.
The speed and quality of an Ethernet cable are important factors but we must also consider the length of a cable when determining whether it should be bought or not. You must carefully evaluate the length of an Ethernet cable to determine whether it should be bought or not
A sturdy Ethernet cable can last a long time as compared to a flimsy one. Although the sturdy cables usually cost more than the average flimsy offering but they do save on repair and replacement costs. In the end it comes down to personal preference.
FOOD FOR THOUGHT
I hope through this guide we have been able to help you in locating a reliable product for your needs. The Ethernet cable is a simple piece of hardware with varied offerings in the market. Keep watching this space for more updates.